Mastitis


Well the last 24 hours have been interesting. I rolled over at about midnight and sat straight up in bed. My boob was on fire and I had rolled over onto it. I knew the pain. It was the pain of a clogged milk duct. I got up and got my bucket of hot water and hung my boob into it. Nothing seemed to work. I laid down and tried to get some rest. I slept for maybe 30 minutes and just couldn’t take it anymore. I called my lactation nurse and she told me to take my temperature. It was 102.4 .  She said to go to the ER right away. By this point I was dizzy and feeling all around crumby. They have this great app called ITriage. The app allowed me to check into the ER , tell them why I was coming , add insurance information and everything else so the ER knew what was going on. I walked into the ER signed in with my name and they took me in right away. I was amazed with their service. I sat with the nurses as they took my temperature , blood pressure and weight. They sent me to an exam room where another nurse was waiting. She hooked me to a BP monitor and a pulse monitor. She asked me a few more questions then left. About 5 minutes later a doctor came in. He examined my breasts and my c-section scar. He commented on how GREAT the scar (or lack there of) was and ordered an ultrasound of my left breast. I asked for a blanket , covered up and went to sleep waiting for the ultrasound tech. Finally she came in and wheeled me to the sono room. She ran the wand over my left breast for about 10 minutes then took me back to my room. She gave me a blanket before she took me back to my room. I went back to sleep. About 15 minutes later the doctor came in to talk to me. He said it was indeed mastitis but the blockage hadn’t advanced to puss pockets. Which is a VERY good thing. He sent me home with 10 days worth of antibiotics and  told me to nurse the princess as often as possible to help with the mastitis. So off to take my meds and see how this pans out. At least my boob doesn’t actually hurt anymore.
ER1 ER2
Inza

No comments